Wednesday, October 11, 2006

So, Someone Doesn't Like Your Dog

A Muslim minicab driver refused to take a blind passenger because her guide dog was "unclean". Abdul Rasheed Majekodumni told Jane Vernon she could not get into his car with the dog because of his religion. Islamic tradition warns Muslims against contact with dogs because they are seen as impure.


I guess I figure if someone is offended at my dog, then I should let them be. I'm not here to make people believe the way I do. That is what is wrong with this world these days, people trying to impose their world view on others. Persuasion... different thing. That is legitimate discourse. But, forcing someone to accept what I believe? Totally wrong. I feel this woman should have let this man go on and flagged another cab. Why give offense? Be an example to others. Do unto others, eh? I try to make sure my dog is not offensive to other people, with training, supervision, containment, and socialization. Then, I get comments like: I don't like dogs... BUT I LIKE YOUR DOG. That builds bridges.

No comments: