Monday, August 24, 2009

Dog Aggression In The Red Zone

Cesar Milan has popularized a term he calls "the red zone", meaning when a dog is acting dangerously aggressive. I hate this term, because it is not quantifiable, doesn't conform to any known scientific definition of aggression that I have ever seen, and isn't really useful in terms of defining what is going on or what to do about it.

One of my problems with Cesar Milan is that you have to translate "Cesar" into English, taking terms he has invented or borrowed and then picking them apart to determine exactly what he's referring to. I see a lot of novices using Cesar's methods and terminology and getting themselves in trouble when trying to deal with biting in their own dogs.

If your dog is having biting, fear, or aggression issues, then you should hire a local expert to help you. In my opinion, Cesar's books and TV shows are going to be of little use to you. I've met people who were severely bitten by their own dogs when trying to implement solutions they've seen on his TV show.

No comments: