Thursday, January 10, 2019

Dog Training A Chow Chow


I’m currently training a 3 year old rescued male Chow Chow. When I first met him, he first came and checked me out in the yard, no aggression, just sniffed me, and then went away. I then went inside the home and went over his training goal and the dog’s history. We then went to work.

First issue was that the dog was quite dirty. But he didn’t want to be brushed or bathed. Chow Chows will bite people they don’t know and trust. I needed to get the dog to trust and bond to his new owner. Next issue was getting a leash and collar on the dog. He didn’t want that, either.

We are now several lessons into this dog, and things are turning out well. The dog will now allow the owner to brush and handle him. We can get a leash and collar on him. He is a happy dog, smiling all the time, comes up to give you kisses on your hands, and a happy tail when you interact with him. We are also working on Basic Obedience. He has been introduced to Heel, Sit, Down, and Come.

In order to get the best results from a Chow Chow, you have to gain their trust and affection. Everything else flows from there. We are well on our way. I like this dog, and I like the owner. They are a good match. I have a game plan for them, and it is all going quite well. Today we had a great lesson, and I see them again this weekend. I’m looking forward to it!

Happy Training!


No comments: