Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Dog Training Rescue Friends

Most of my friends are in some capacity involved in dog rescue. Today, I went to breakfast with a long time friend who got me actively involved in dog rescue almost 2 decades ago. She lives in Seattle, and was in Phoenix for a few days, so we were able to spend some time together this morning...

I first met her at the annual Seattle Kennel Club dog show at the Seattle Center. She bred Mastiffs, and as the dog I had then was becoming a senior, I spoke to her about the breed. Her dogs were well mannered, looked great, did well in crowds and around all that chaos.

Later, at some point, I can't remember how, she hired me to train one of her dogs. From there, we became friends, she saw I was interested in rescue, and she was already heavily involved, and things went from there. We rescued a lot of dogs, and we became good friends.

I have met a lot of quality people along the way. Parallel with the dog training I do, I have also donated countless hours working to rescue dogs. My contribution has been to offer my training and behavioral services to them for free.

As I look back on the beginning of all of this, rescue volunteering started with me looking for a new dog. You never know what the future will bring you. You just do life and opportunities to make a difference come along. You also will meet a lot of good people in the journey, and some will be on your same path.

No comments: