Saturday, August 26, 2006

Is The Puppy Purse Animal Abuse?

It's the ultimate fashion accessory for people who "love their dogs a bit too much."

Imported from the United States, these colourful and stylish "doggie bags" enable devoted dog owners to carry their puppies and little pooches wherever they go.

Designed to be "lightweight" with an adjustable strap, the "Puppy Purse" is exactly as it sounds.


I find these "pooch pouches" to be completely obscene. If you look at the photos of these types of devices, how can a dog breathe properly? "Teacup" dogs, especially, are known to have fragile internal organs. What about the dog's circulatory system? And what about exercise? And what about having to urinate or defecate? What about learning to walk on a loose leash and obeying? What is the justification for using such a thing? How can this be healthy?

In my opinion, anyone who would do this doesn't deserve to have a dog. Is this animal cruelty? I’d want a veterinarian opinion on such a device before I’d make that determination here. But, if it is, I would advocate arresting, fining and jailing anyone who would subject their dog to such a device.

This fashion thing started with Paris Hilton, who I think is a terrible role model.

Fashion trends are no excuse for animal abuse.

1 comment:

MaryAnne said...

Hi Sam... love your blog, but this post is a little over the top. I have to respectfully disagree. No argument that having a dog as a 'fashion accessory' is bad...getting a dog for any frivolous reason is bad...but calling dog bagd/carriers 'abuse'? No.

I owned a handicapped (paralyzed rear) dachshund for 13+ years--she was paralyzed for 10 of those. I *regularly* used such a carrier. Why? So she could go places with me, of course. Abuse? Quite the contrary. Of course, she got plenty of time in her cart too--and plenty of exercise--but to just look at me with her in her 'bag' and to call it "abuse" is pretty insulting.

Lots of small dog owners use these bags from time to time. We use them because at times it is a safety issue! As much as I'd like to think that my little dog is safe and sound with his four feet on the ground, that is not always the case. More than once I've had dogs "jumped" by other out of control or off-leash larger dogs. Thanks, I can do without that. If I deem that my dog will be safer under my arm, then that's how I'm going to deal with it. Ideal? Absolutely not.

Does it bother me that the "Paris" set uses the dog/bag as fashion? Of course. Because of this trend, it encourages others to do the same...and then cast off the dog (into Rescue, shelters, etc.) as some sort of out-of-style accessory.

It's the same old saw... it's not the gun, it's the person... it's not the pit bull, it's the owner... it's not the bag, it's how it's used.

Just because 'you' wouldn't use it, doesn't make it inherently bad. I wouldn't own a rottie, but that doesn't make all people who own them bad.

PS the same sort of logic could apply to a crate. Used as a training tool? Good. Used as semi-permanent isolation? Not so much.

Just my opinion.