Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Was This Dog Attack Justified?

A 13-year-old was attacked by a friend's pit bull in the Top Hat neighborhood of Seattle Wednesday.

The girl apparently told police that the dog had been acting up and she hit it on the nose, which may have triggered the attack.


OK, this sounds like this was a provoked attack... meaning the dog wasn't at fault. Kids aren't always innocent in dog bite cases. This is a good reason to teach everyone in your family... DON'T HIT DOGS TO PUNISH THEM!!!!! (By the way... where were the parents? And why was this dog left unsupervised?) If this story is as it appears, I WOULD NOT recommend euthanasia for this dog. You can't expect that you can hit a dog, especially a dog that isn't yours, and expect that the dog is going to just take it. To a dog, you've attacked THEM. These aren't cartoon characters. They are animals, and they will act like animals, not furry little punching bags.

2 comments:

Joy said...

AMEN!

How often do I see small kids waving their arms around dogs they see on the street? I've taken to re-educating the small neighborhood kids that come around my dogs, warning them NEVER to make threatening movements unless they WANT to invite a bite. BTW, it works! I've noticed the kids now seem to give strange dogs a MUCH wider space.

Thanks for a great rant and an informative blog!

Joy said...

AMEN!

How often do I see small kids waving their arms around dogs they see on the street? I've taken to re-educating the small neighborhood kids that come around my dogs, warning them NEVER to make threatening movements unless they WANT to invite a bite. BTW, it works! I've noticed the kids now seem to give strange dogs a MUCH wider space.

Thanks for a great rant and an informative blog!