Thursday, October 10, 2024

10 Pit Bull Type Dogs Kill NY Man

“We’re still trying to determine why the victim was in the rear of the residence, we’re still trying to figure out why the owner of the dogs kept so many dogs at that location,” Hawkins said.

 

I notice few issues here that I would like more information about. 

 

First, is understanding what set up this tragedy of 10 dogs ganging up on someone off their home property. My belief: never let your dogs get to someone without your knowledge. Even friendly dogs can turn into something else in a group that large. That means inspecting and validating your fencing, gates, yard, and supervision rules. These dogs somehow got into the neighbor’s yard. It is not clear to me how. No one is going to likely survive an attack by 10 dogs, regardless of the trigger and circumstances.

 

Second, the dogs were housed at an alleged “drug house”. I go a lot of places and see a lot of things because I do private lessons in people’s homes. I sometimes also hear stuff from people. I remember several years ago doing an outdoor lesson at night. We were working on teaching this dog to not pull on a leash. About a block or so away from my student’s home, I smelled something chemical and terrible. She said that down a cul-de-sac, there was a drug house, and what I was smelling was them brewing illegal drugs. I was in another neighborhood, in another situation, where people were afraid to come to the door. Down the end of the street was a neighborhood park. Some kid had been killed there, and there was a known drug house on the far side. Cars and people were coming and going at all times of the day, almost like a gas station and people were waiting their turn at the park benches. Bad stuff can happen in those locations, and you can be harmed in any number of ways, including this kind of situation. No way was I going to do a dog lesson in that park. Not always can or will law enforcement help, so you either need to stay away or move away. I’ve stopped training dogs in some parks when I see shady people doing shady things. Sometimes my gut feeling is validated by some bad story in the news later.

 

Third, the article says that 9 adult and 15 puppies were removed by authorities. That is way too many dogs for an alleged “drug house.” In my experience, dogs like this are bred for money and protection. Plus, adult dogs are going to be more protective of the area if they have puppies. Good breeders can have that many dogs and not have any problems. My guess is that this will not turn out to be a “good breeder.”

 

I always recommend paying attention to things that seem out of the normal. A lot of things here would probably been clues of danger to me if I had sensed or been aware of them. Who knows what the victim did or didn’t know, however. That doesn’t automatically make him responsible for what happened. The police are trying to sort out more details, so the article is insufficient to really know what happened and why. I look at stories like this to extract life lessons that I can pass on to my students. Let’s see what develops. 

No comments: