Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Sanity In An Insane World

A woman facing jail time for "staring" at a police dog had charges against her dropped Monday after an Orange County prosecutor viewed videotape of the alleged crime.

There are good and moral reasons to arrest people for harassing police dogs. But this sure wasn't one of them. I sometimes am amazed at the judgment of some prosecutors. They are people, just like you and me, and sometimes they do things that are not morally justified. I feel that way about the Scooter Libby case. He's going to prison over a technicality, not over "outing" a CIA operative. And then, there's the Duke lacrosse case.

Prosecutors have a lot of power. Tons. And they can destroy a person's life. Somehow, there needs to be better checks and balances regarding the ethical behavior of prosecuting attorneys. Not everyone deserves a prison sentence, and not all crimes need to be pursued to the utmost in order to serve justice. I do believe "what comes around, goes around", and figure that one day, God will sort them all out. I've seen it in my lifetime, and it isn't always a pretty sight. I've seen the mighty fall. Better to live by a code to be a decent person, than to end up lower than those you harmed over the years. One day, you too will need a friend.

No comments: