Sunday, March 26, 2006

Fight Against Breed Specific Insurance Policies

A proposed law, backed by the Massachusetts Federation of Dog Clubs and Responsible Dog Owners, would make it illegal for insurance companies in the state to refuse homeowners coverage based on specific breeds of dogs, or from charging higher premiums to people who own certain breeds. Ten other states have pending legislation that would prohibit breed-specific policies, according to the American Kennel Club.

Normally, I’d be against such legislation. I believe in the free markets. But, we are NOT dealing with free markets. Onerous legislation and court decisions have made insurance mandatory, and in some situations, the insurance requirements are so high as to be the equivalent of banning certain types of dogs. So, to counterbalance what has happened in the law, you need legislation making it impossible for insurers to discriminate against specific breeds. Otherwise, you will see lots of insurance policies written that exclude dog bite cases, and if someone is hurt, there won’t be any funds to cover the costs of the injuries.

Therefore, I support this kind of legislation EVERYWHERE. Fight for it. You CAN get it passed in your community.

1 comment:

LuvMyPuppers said...

This has been going on for a long, long time...I worked in the Insurance business for 25 years. Dog bites are a huge problem. Have been for years and years. Don't get me wrong..I love dogs, I have two...but...vicious dogs are a problem. The Insurance companies DO have a list of those dogs...the underwriters of those companies keep a keene eye on that list. From the get go if they know you have a dog that is on that list, they will exclude coverage or deny you coverage. Most companies, not all...will allow one dog bite..but if that same dog bites again...you can kiss your coverage good bye or kiss you dear pup good bye. It's a tough world, and I have seen some brutal attacks, even by the most loving dog, but specific breeds of those "loving dogs"...have a proven potential of attacking small childen as well as adults just because they wanted to...I suppose Companies could give credit to dog training schools for these types of dogs, giving them a second chance..I don't know..it's a tough call especially when you've seen first hand some pretty bad mauling. I'm really torn, I've had a German Shepard..best dog ever, I have friends who have Pit Bulls, they appear to be sweet as pie...but are they? Can they turn on a child or a stranger or a close friend or even you? I don't know..but I do know that from claim history...that "dog list" is a list of dogs that do have a history of attacking. Labs aren't on it, beagles aren't on it, cocker spaniels were questionable when I was in the business...I had one of those too..he was sweet, but nippy to kids. Mutts aren't even on this list...I suppose what it boils down to is you have to go with history of the millions of dollars paid in dog bite claims. It's tough, it really is.