Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Dog Poop Fight Turns Deadly

I have to confess that in the old days, I used to allow my dogs to poop on other people's property. My rationale was immature and foolish: I didn't really think that much about it. Other people did it. There wasn't a law...

But, I changed my mind on this years ago. Not only are you making a mess for someone else on their property, some people are extremely adverse to seeing dog poop anywhere, it angers them, and some people will go absolutely nuts about it...



I remember an email I once received from a dog hater about dog poop in his community. He was angry about it, and was using that issue to explain why he hated dogs and dog owners, and why that motivated him to move to a place where there were no dogs... but to no avail... he still saw dog poop in his neighborhood.


This isn't an isolated thing, either. Some things endanger your freedom to own a dog, and endanger you and your dog... It doesn't matter if you think it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if other people do it. It does matter that it offends some people to the point of getting violent. 

So, it is best to understand that this is one of those things you had better attend to: be selective in where you poop your dog, and pick up after your dog. I teach students to be as inconspicuous as possible with their dogs. Otherwise, expect more laws and more violent confrontations.

No comments: