Monday, March 05, 2012

Dogs And Wolves

Dogs (Canis lupus familiaris) and Wolves (Canis lupus) are closely related species. However, I do not believe they are the SAME species. The origin of the dog is in dispute. Some say that ancient man selectively bred wolves to create all the different breeds we know today. I think that is hogwash. Ancient peoples lacked the sophistication or insight to know how to accomplish this. I think the dog is its own species. It is interesting to note that dogs from different parts of the world are adapted to the environments of those places.

I do believe we can draw some conclusions about dog behavior from looking at other species, because I do believe that behavioral systems can be homologous. But, the direct comparisons fall apart because they aren't exactly the same species.

No comments: